Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Finished!

Today I finally got around to making my finishing (or Hanko) stamp for ZeFrank. Rather than just giving you a pic of the finished result, lets go through the steps shall we?

Step One: Gather materials

Ruler, eraser and pair of compasses.
What I used. YMMV.

Of course, that means scrabble for ages for an eraser, then for a ruler and when you finally find the ruler find another eraser that will actually work better than the one you originally found.

Step Two: Choose design

 Picture of the four designs
My four designs (Taekwondodo, Ninja Panda, Rambo Panda and Dodo)

This is by far the hardest part. You have to find something that reflects you, fits on a 1inch by 1inch square and that isn't too detailed. I started with my avatar that I use everywhere, a taekwondodo, but then found that although I did draw my own avatar in paint I can't draw it freehand. It was probably too complex anyway. Second was a Rambo Panda, which I use as my skin in Minecraft, looked OK but no way of telling that it's a RAMBO Panda. Third was Ninja Panda, which looked OK and would be good with the one colour and last was a dodo, for my nickname but I decided that it would be too hard to carve out of the eraser easily so ninja panda it was.

Step Three: Cut eraser to size

A surprise production of Titanic, performed using stationary

Step Four: Draw design on eraser

Even worse than the first drawing

Step Five: Start carving

Adult assistance should be sought at this point

Using the pair of compasses I scored along the lines and dug out all of the white space that I didn't want, leaving the black behind.

Step Six: Try stamping

No ink pad? Try making your own!

I don't own an ink pad so I tried stamping with watercolour paint I had lying around but it didn't work all that well as the paint was just too wet and collected between the lines, causing smudging.

Maybe not watercolour...

 So then I tried a marker (not a sharpie, it dries too quick) and got a really good impression so here's my finished finishing stamp!

Aww... Adorable ninja panda!

Why not have a go at making your own? It's really not as hard as it looks and you don't even need any fancy equipment.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment