Monday, April 2, 2012

Carpe Diem

As rising sun above horizon peeks
And rosy glow the countryside enfolds
Small birds awake to pour songs from their beaks
And flowers bloom, their colours bright and bold


Woodland creatures scamper 'cross the lawn
The sky a growing shade of peacock blue
A brand new day is herald by the dawn
The promise fresh and clear as morning dew


Carpe diem! Take life by the helm!
Who knows what could be found, or yet thought of
The last grand treasures of forgotten realms
Excitement and adventure, hope, or love!


But with vile poisons pounding in my head
Screw 'seize the day', I'll seize some sleep instead.

Prompt: Write a “carpe diem” poem.


Simple enough. I thought and then realised I had no idea how I was going to go about this. The last line was the first to form itself to my questing mind and I seized upon it as a blessing and a starting block. I decided on a sonnet as I am quite fond of the 'twist' at the end and it meant I could write an almost sardonic poem about seizing the day, especially if you don't feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment